Neck Braces: Why the Leatt Brace is Best is part four of my five part series on why each brand of neck brace is the best. In this story I’ll focus on the things Leatt has done that make their neck brace appear to be the best. I researched on the internet and contacted Leatt with some questions to create this story. Alpinestars, Atlas and EVS have already been covered and Moveo will have their own version of this story soon.
Leatt was the first company in the neck brace game. They are dedicated to improving their products and it shows. Leatt is always improving their neck braces year after year and constantly puttting out info on why their neck braces are great without bashing other brands. They have spun their success with neck braces into a large line of CE approved protective gear. Leatt seems to take the steps to ensure their state of the art protective products actually work.
Leatt Brace Development & Design
As the story goes, development of the Leatt Brace started over 10 years ago when Dr. Leatt assisted in the treatment of a rider who died on the track from a suspected neck injury. He didn’t just come up with an idea that he thought would protect rider’s necks and release it though. Before releasing the Leatt Brace, Leatt got design input from neurosurgeons, spinal surgeons, biomedical engineers, mechanical engineers, and pro racers. They also performed extensive research using Adams LifeMODTM software and a Hybrid III 50TH percentile male ATD (Anthropomorphic Test Device).
The LifeMODTM software is capable of simulating a human reaction to various impacts. To make the most out of this software, Leatt used pendulum tests developed by and conducted at BMW Motorrad. They also created simulations using video from James Marshall’s crash at the 2006 Dallas Supercross–in case you didn’t know Marshall was paralyzed in this incident.
Leatt neck braces (all neck braces) are designed to eliminate some neck injuries while reducing the severity of injuries that do happen. It seems year after year, Leatt is changing and making improvements to their neck braces, they are currently selling their 5th generation of neck braces. Leatt says that no other neck brace on the market reduces as much injury causing neck forces as theirs do.
Leatt continues to learn and improve their braces through lab and rider testing. They talk to riders constantly and really focus in on the ones who have had severe crashes. On Leatt’s website there is an accident submission form where they receive information from riders around the world. To stay on top of the latest developments in understanding and anticipating injuries Leatt reaches out to medical professionals from different sporting disciplines worldwide. To test the effectiveness of changes made to the Leatt Brace, Leatt uses computer simulations as well as physical testing of hybrid dummies in their lab. A lab that Leatt says is probably the world’s best equipped neck injury testing lab in the world.
The resources Leatt has at their disposal allow Leatt to constantly develop new neck braces and other protective products to better protect rider’s bodies.
Leatt’s neck braces are very adjustable to fit your body shape. Getting a neck brace to fit correctly is very important for a neck braces’ alternate load path technology to work properly. Alternate load path technology is the basis of every neck brace on the market, so you can see why A LOT of adjustability is important.
Leatt Brace Resources
Leatt has made so much info available on their neck braces, I don’t want to limit your information to this article alone. Below are some sources that I got information from, they will allow you to learn everything you would ever want to know about the Leatt Brace. There is a ton of info on the Leatt website and it takes some time to read through it all.
If you really want to know a lot about neck braces, watch these videos
Leatt Brace Features
- Engineered by a medical doctor and Bio Medical engineers and tested by some of the fastest bicycle and motorcycle racers in the world.
- Totally new chassis design made of fiberglass reinforced polyamide
- New helmet rim striking platform for increased head and helmet freedom of motion
- 5 way adjustability
- Sliding front and rear SureFit adjusters to ensure optimum fit
- 4 angle rear thoracic strut adjustments fits more body shapes
- Adjustable over the shoulder height for optimizing freedom of motion for different neck lengths and helmet rim profiles
- Sculptured, split front for improved comfort and fit
- New and improved, CoreFlex split rear thoracic strut is more comfortable and designed to work with the body’s natural movements
- Thoracic rear strut is engineered to snap off before applying excessive pressure to the back
- New and improved low profile open / close system incorporating a spring loaded push-button
- Easy to use emergency release mechanism for injured riders
- Engineered collarbone cutout to help keep your helmet and brace away from your most fragile bones
- Injected foam padding on upper surface is more durable, easier to clean and designed to accommodate custom sticker kits
- Air flow ribs in the padding ensure optimum ventilation
- Folding rear thoracic strut for easier packing
- Free, optional, clear chest strap included
- CE certified as Personal Protective Equipment 89/686/EEC
Why Leatt’s making the best neck braces on the market right now
Leatt works hard at making great neck braces and it shows. They have a certain transparency with the information they provide on their website and this really helps their case when coming up with reasons why they are the best. To start off Leatt has been around the longest and has the most experience developing neck braces. They took their time developing the Leatt Brace correctly in the first place and it sounds like they created a good testing protocol before even releasing the first brace, I’m sure this has only improved since. Dr. Leatt has mechanical and bio-medical engineers working on his staff, whether other companies do or not, I don’t know, if they do they don’t make it public. Leatt has a very obvious dedication to informing the public about neck braces, no other neck brace manufacturer has as much information on their website as Leatt does. Leatt has continuously improved their neck braces, they are now on their 5th generation, no other brand has 5 generations of neck braces.
This is part 4 of a 5 part series on why each brand of neck brace is the best, you can read the other articles here.